Saturday, July 5, 2008

More Observations

During my days here, I have noticed some more interesting things

1. A ton of dogs on the street. Its funny when a pack of them chase cars down the street (and to think in Chicago, dogs actually get stolen).

2. Public affection is huge here, when I walk through the parks, all the benches are packed with young couples making out.

3. A word on public transportation. The Metro (train system) here is very efficient here. Its very clean and upkept. The trains don´t make a lot of noise either and they come every few minutes with few issues. The only bad thing is that the train stops at 11PM. How is that a developing city like Santiago has a better train system than Chicago? Its embarrasing that Chicago´s cars are 50 years old, noisy as hell, and frequent breakdowns and stops. My current commute is about 10-15 minutes and I am probably going as far as Addison to downtown. The bus system has gotten worse in the last few years. I read that 2 years ago, all buses were privatized and so buses kinda ran like cabs competing for fares. But the govt decided that they wanted to intergrate the bus/train system, so the govt took more control and a ton of bus routes were scrapped. A friend of mine was saying that 13 different buses went next to his house, now he is down to 1 bus. So all the buses now are packed. But still, waiting 20-45 minutes for a bus here is unheard of.

4. Even McDonalds taste different! I can see how in a few months, I will start to miss some of my fav foods and brands......

So I am still looking for a apartment. So far, I have looked at two different ones. The first one would be with 2 other roomates (both Chilean), and they are a little older about 30. The downside about this apartment is that her brother sometimes would be living with us. So, crashing on the couch, etc. That could get a little bothersome at times. Plus, since they are a little older, they are a little more chill, than I would like. So, probably a no, on this apartment.

I looked at another place today, that would be living with 3 other girls. All of them are really nice (2 chilean girls and a US teacher). They aren´t girly at all. Benefits of this place is they only speak Spanish in the house (they know English), so it would give me 3 times to practice Spanish and it gives me 3 different outlets to meet people which is nice. The place is nice too, clean and I would have my own master bathroom too. Its cheaper than some of the other places. Its going for about $250 bucks. The downside here is the location, its not as close to the train as some of the other places. Its probably about a 10 min walk to the station, so we are probably looking at a 30 minute commute. Not bad, but if my classes are all over the place, it could be bothersome.

I am looking at one more place tomorrow and then I will probably make a decision. Tomorrow is a 22 Chilean girl who is a student, who speaks no English. Should be interesting!

5 comments:

Neepa Modi said...

Hey! Whats wrong with living with the "older people"? What, do they sit around in sweats and go to bed by 11pm? i see, the truth comes out. hmmmmm.........

The Chile Experiment said...

haha. I don´t think that they wear sweats here..... Remember Neepa, its not how old you are, but how old you act!

jonathon said...

Choose apartment number two! What could go wrong while living with three Chilean women?

Michelle said...

i love the blog - so jealous you are in another country. i'm tired of detroit, michigan.

Patrick said...

How's the Chilean Sea Bass? Or is it like French Fries where the locals don't actually eat the food America generously name after them?!