Monday, August 11, 2008

Another Glimpse into Chilean Society

So, a few people have told me about how a motel is a popular option for couples, etc who want to get "intimate", I always assumed that they meant for the night. This made sense for me, since its not uncommon for people in their late 20s, early 30s to live with their parents. So people need to get away, I get it....

Well, typically you dont rent a room for the entire night, but a few hours! When I think of renting a motel for a few hours, I always think of the shady places next to the highway....or where the drug deals go down.... If somebody told their partner, "hey, lets get a hotel, just for a few hours", most people in the states would just laugh and think its trashy. But, here its looked as a romantic jesture....

On another random note, premade salsa is very expensive here as well as tortillas, cheese, etc. Its expensive, because its not a popular item. Thats one thing in the states I took for granted, because of all different cultures, its easy to get all different kindas of foods, etc. But here, if you dont like hot dogs (people love hot dogs here, its like the biggest aisle in the supermarket), well, too bad.....

So because of this expensive salsa issue, I decided to make my own today. It turned out really well, but mistake #1 is that I just made too much of it. I ended up with about 1.5 liters, so I guess I will be eating salsa all week!

4 comments:

golgolli said...

OK Kyle, be honest, how did you learn about couples getting intimate in motel rooms? Is someone trying to take you to a motel? ;)

Eugene said...

Yeah Kyle, what's the deal? Are you holding out on us?

The Chile Experiment said...

Come on guys, you know that I would be honest with you if it was my story! Haha

Neepa Modi said...

man, you weren't kidding when you said the chilean women were all over you! ;) Kee-lay!