Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Midweek update

After reading the news, I am really glad that I am not working in the financial market right now. Yikes!! Weekend was good, both days I went to friends houses and hung out had a few drinks or had a BBQ. It was very nice. I also spent a lot of time studying Spanish as well. The living situation is going well (at least I think so), the family is nice and they want me to learn more to properly understand them. I actually havent had Spanish class in a few weeks because my schedule has been busy. But, I kinda have a Spanish class every night.

On Saturday, I went clothes shopping with a friend. The majority of middle class people here do their shopping on the street in the clothing district. It reminds me of the clothing district in LA, where there are lots of small shops with one of a kind clothes. Its kinda neat to see all the different stuff. A very lively situation indeed. But, in general, lots of things are sold by people on the street. Clothes, jewerly, watches, sunglasses, cds, movies, etc. These people sell their goods on blankets, I knew the reason why, but had never seen it happen. The reason why that the goods are on blankets is so that they can make a fast getaway if the cops coming walking around. Well, I saw a bunch of people pack up shop really quick, and sure enough, about 3 or 4 blocks down the street a few cops were on motorcycles. I guess they have lookouts who watch, and all the vendors look out for each other, so they are long gone before the cops are even close. Its a pretty impressive site to see actually.......

The cool thing about this week is I actually got a job as a photographer at a newspaper! Ok, its not all that is seems, but it still is pretty neat. My friend, who works at the newspaper and the radiostation which is owned by the newspaper, hooked me up with the gig. Its a online newspaper and its called The Santiago Times (www.santiagotimes.cl) and its the only English newspaper in Chile. Its not paid (bummer), but I will probably spend a few hours a week there, doing a few things. The idea is we get advanced notice about the stories which will be posted later and try to get photos to go along with the story. We will do this in two ways, one, go taking photos or use stock photos. Using stock photos is boring, but because we cant get live photos for all stories, we have to use stock ones. But, I will also get press passes to go to concerts in Chile and shoot! So this side gig might be a lot of work, but I think that it will be worth it........

1 comment:

jonathon said...

don't go becoming a famous photographer without me! thats awesome man, glad to hear that you're doing the kinds of things that you want to do...beats auditing people huh?