Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Trip with Parents

so its been a while but, I have been travelling with my parents over the last couple of weeks. Its been fun, we started out in Santiago, showing them the usual city stuff and then we took a bus to Pucon, a city about 12 hours away. The big draw at this town is the volcano located there, its about 3000 meters high and quite impressive. I had arranged a tour company to pick us up at 7AM and hike the Volcano, but they never showed up! I was super angry, because this was the main draw for the town. Instead, we ended up going to another national park and going on a 6 hour hike. It wasnt too bad or hard or anything. The next day, we headed for the volcano and the tour company was on time this day...thank god...The hike was amazing and pretty hard, it was about 4 hours straight up to the top. We had to have all the right gear too, helmet, ice axe, crampons, etc. The view from the top was amazing, and the smell of sulfur was very strong too (its still very active). Going down the hill was a blast, we slid down on our butts, using the axe as a break. Very rewarding...

Pucon is a very nice but expensive city, right now the tourist season is all over, so hotels and cafes are just dead. After Pucon, we took a series of 3 different bus rides to the Cabin near Talca. Its this cabin out in the middle of nowhere, and we ended up taking the last city bus to the cabin, so it was dark outside. Luckily, I have been to the place before, so I knew kinda what it looked like and everything, but it was the completly dark outside. And we saw probably the best view of the stars, I have ever seen in my life..It was amazing.....On the way to the cabin, my parents were probably just thinking, "where is he taking us?"

After returning to Santiago, we went to Valaparíso and Viña for the day. I have been to Viña before, so I knew what that was about, but not Valaparíso, it was really neat. It kinda reminds me of certain parts of San Fran. I def want to come back before I leave Chile.....Here are some pics....


Looking into the belly of the volcano




Rents climbing up


A chairlift which was destroyed by the last eruption

2 comments:

golgolli said...

Wow Kyle, I can't believe your parents went on a 4 hour hike up straight up a mountain!!! They're brave!

adrian said...

Looks amazing, man! What did your parents think of Chile?